MENU Friends of St Clement's Outwell

Memorials

An interesting memorial brass portraying a knight in armour, was formerly mounted in the North aisle (it was removed to allow plastering work, and remains in store).

This memorial to Richard Quadryng, who died in 1511, has no obvious connection with Outwell. Dr Christian Steer has found evidence that the brass originally marked the grave of Richard Quadryng, Esquire, who (as the accompanying brass plaque states) died on 29 September 1511, in the parish church of the Lincolnshire village of Lenton (formerly Lavington). In 1833 the brass was being "kept by ... the vicar in his house for [its] better preservation." The vicar of Lenton from 1824 to 1835 was William Hardwicke, who between 1803 and 1838 was also the rector of Outwell. Evidently Hardwicke brought the Quardryng brass with him to Outwell when he left Lenton. Thus, as Dr Steer remarks, "Thanks to the well-meaning intention of William Hardwicke, this Lincolnshire brass was ultimately relocated in a Norfolk church."

We do not know when it was installed in St Clement's for Hardwicke met a mysterious end. On the night of 25 April 1838, he dined at Beaupre Hall, decided to walk home to the Rectory, and so sent his carriage away. He never made it. Some newspaper reports suggest "his foot slipped" on the footbridge over the sluice, and he fell into the canal and drowned. The coroner's jury was uncertain what happened to Mr Hardwicke, and the verdict the jurors returned was "found drowned".

There is a memorial to the Revd William Hardwicke in the chancel of St Clement's: a black marble stone set in the floor adjacent to a similar stone commemorating his wife, Elizabeth.

Dr Steer's article was published in the Bulletin of the Memorial Brass Society (June 2014). Photograph courtesy of Mike Dixon.